A competition for 6-12 year olds to be selected as an ambassador of the American Legion Auxiliary poppy. Little Miss Poppy and Little Mister Poppy is a contest for a youngster who represents the fun spirit of the American Legion Auxiliary. This is not a beauty contest, nor an academic competition. It's just for fun, giving kids a chance to be kids as well as learn about Veterans and promote the poppy.
1. Contestants must be a resident of Indiana or have access to Bloomington, Indiana at least 3 times between September 11th, 2019 and June 30th, 2020.
2. Nominations must be received at the American Legion Post 18 by 5PM on August 15th, 2019 or postmarked by August 15th, 2019.
3. Contestants must be between 6 and 12 years of age.
4. All contestants will be interviewed by an American Legion Auxiliary Unit 18 member (based on applicable questions) and will be judged on the following criteria:
- Poise under pressure
- Helpfulness, being a good citizen or friend
- Positive attitude
- Eagerness to learn about Veterans and promote the poppy
- Kindness to adults in attendance at interview
- Connection to Veterans and/or American Legion Family
5. The winners (selection of 1 female and 1 male) will be selected at the American Legion at a Patriot Day Event on September 11th at 6:30PM. This event is subject to be adjusted. If there is a change, notice will be given to all applicants.
6. Runner-Up placements will be announced.